It is the mission of South Texas Youth Soccer Association to foster the physical, mental and emotional growth and development of the youth of South Texas by offering an environment that makes soccer fun and instills a lifelong passion for the game in its players and their families.
To accomplish this goal, STYSA provides various levels of play designed to fulfill the needs of players age 4 through 19 of various skill levels.
Division IV - Recreational – Under-10 and younger players
Children learn the basics of soccer through positive, fun training sessions that include short demonstrations and lots of participation. The primary goal of this play level is fun and the opportunity to play. There is a requirement that coaches make every effort to play each player at least 50% of each game.
Division IV - Academy / Recreational Plus – Under-8 through Under-10 players
The Recreational Academy Program is designed to allow trainers to teach individual skills to Under-8, Under-9 and Under-10 players in a team training format. Clubs must be pre-approved through an application process to offer this level of play.
Division III - Recreational – Under-11 through Under-19
Designed for players who enjoy the sport for the social aspect as well as developing their skills, recreational teams in these age groups are formed through assignment of all interested participants to a team. There is a requirement that coaches make every effort to play each player at least 50% of each game.
Division II – Competitive – Under-11 through Under-19
This introductory level of competitive play is designed for those who enjoy the social aspect of the game and want to continue to develop their skills through better competition. There is a requirement that coaches make every effort to play each player at least 50% of each game.
Super II – Competitive – Under-11 through Under-19
Selection of players based on talent and ability is permitted and generally includes a pool of players from a broader spectrum. Teams participate in the Super II league within the District which requires more commitment with regard to travel and expense. There is a requirement that coaches make every effort to play each player at least 50% of each game.
Division I – Competitive – Under-11 through Under-19
Recognized as the highest level of play within the state, players may be selected from across the state based on their ability, skill and commitment to the sport including a more demanding practice and game schedule. There is no play time requirement at this level.
State Classic League – Under-14 through Under-18
Still in the organizational stage, this level of play is designed to provide play between the top teams in each District during the regular season. There is no play time requirement at this level.
Region III Premier League
The US Youth Soccer Region III Premier League provides an opportunity for the most competitive teams in Region III to play each other on a scheduled basis. The league is comprised of boys and girls teams in the Under-14 through Under-18 age groups with each participating state association determining the criteria for identifying the teams to be included in the Premier League.
Teams of all levels play through their Member Association or a designated play group (Super II, Division I, State Classic, and Premier League) during the fall season and, in some play levels, have the opportunity to advance to post season play in the Fall or enter Spring Cup competitions.
The competitions offered by South Texas Youth Soccer Association and the levels of play eligible for each competition are:
· Fall Championship District Tournaments- Division II and Division III age groups are eligible for participation in tournaments scheduled for the first weekend in December. Each District determines whether tournaments will be offered at the Division IV U9 and U10 play level.
· South Texas Cup District Tournaments – league play is offered in the Spring through each Member Association for Division II and Division III teams with advancement to the District Tournament scheduled for early May.
· Director’s Cup – U11 through U19 Super II and Division II teams are eligible to enter the spring competition to which first and second place teams from each District’s spring competition advancing to a State Tournament in mid-May.
· President’s Cup – U11 through U19 Division I and Super II teams are eligible to enter a spring competition designed to identify the top two teams in each District to advance to the State Tournament in late May. First place winners in the U13 through U17 age groups then qualify to advance to the US Youth Soccer Region III President’s Cup to be hosted by one of the Region III state associations.
· US Youth Soccer National Championships – Although open to all levels of play, this competition is recommended for the highest level competitive teams. Teams enter at the beginning of the year and compete within their District during the Spring season for an opportunity to be one of two teams advancing from each District to the State Cup to be held Memorial Day weekend. First place teams in the Under-14 through Under-19 then advance to the USYSNC Regional Tournament to be hosted by one of the Region III states in mid June.
For more specific information on each of these competitions, please click on the competition name to the left. Additional information will be posted as details become available for each competition.