The South Texas Youth Soccer Association Academy Program is a certified program which uses a defined curriculum and qualified staff to teach individual skills to players registered as U10 or under. The Academy philosophy focuses on the complete development of each player and provides an environment for boys and girls to learn through playing. The Academy Program emphasizes the process of technical development and gradual tactical understanding. The main goal of the STYSA Academy Program is to provide a program structure that meets the needs of all clubs and associations in South Texas.
We feel that clubs must be empowered to provide a variety of programming options for their players including recreational and competitive play and that the Academy Program provides both the flexibility and structure to create a special program for boys and girls U10 and under. By using the STYSA Academy Program’s best practice recommendations and curriculum found on the Coaching Resources page of the STYSA website, member associations and clubs can foster Academy Programs of all sizes and shapes that can grow and flourish.
- To emphasize player development over team development and focus on the technical development of each child without the pressures of short-term wins/losses/results.
- To develop ball skill and decision making in the game. To create a fun and dynamic atmosphere for players.
- To help educate parents on how to understand the sport and their role as a support of their child’s development.
- To prepare younger players for the eventual transition into competitive select soccer.
- To offer a program that will follow recommendations and guidelines from US Youth Soccer and the United States Soccer Federation for small-sided play.
- To help reduce travel and lower the expense for younger players and their families.
Clubs looking to participate in the Academy programs must fill out the following application in order to get accepted. The application will be reviewed by the State Director of Coaching and shared with your local Association to ensure that clubs and coaches are in good standing.
For 2017-2018 Seasonal Year
- New Academy Program Applications are due May 1, 2017 for Fall 2017
- New Academy Program Applications are due December 1, 2017 for Spring 2018
- Returning Academy Programs must submit changes or updates by June 30, 2017
To apply please complete the online application.
Academy Leagues are administered and run through your local member association. STYSA works with all associations to provide oversight, resources, and different organizational models to ensure that the Leagues are successful and take into account the needs of all Academy Programs involved.
More information about Academy Leagues and options for playing in-house and friendly games are reviewed in the Academy Program FAQ document.
Academy Playing Rules
*All Academy Leagues must follow these STYSA Academy Playing Rules
All Academy Programs receive support at multiple levels from the South Texas Youth Soccer Coaching Department. The Academy Program club and players must be registered with STYSA in order to receive the benefits including:
- Organizational structure and models for league and program design for both clubs and Associations
- Handbook on how to create and operate an Academy Program
- Curriculum that is appropriate for the age and ability of the players
- Sample training sessions
- Educational meetings/webinars for coaches, parents and players
- Material to distribute to parents and players on issues they may face
- Assistance with organizing Academy Festivals
Academy Program FAQ
More information about the STYSA Academy Program can be found on our FAQ document.
For assistance or information regarding the Academy Program please email email@example.com.